You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#26 2010-04-28 21:19:11

Pokefan999

Re: The WFC discussion thread

I know it is not easy.  Also, I suspect big N server is flooded with many friend codes using mac#56 because I get error 91010 which means duplicate friend codes and I don't get it when I switch to 2 different mac#.

#27 2011-05-20 20:02:28

Kalivos

was reading this thread and noticed some referencing to the Nintendo network when using the WiFi connection. is there a way to simulate a local connection, such as 2 DS systems in close proximity, so that desmume does not have to use the Nintendo network? what got me interested in this issue is the game children of mana, a friend of mine that lives on the other side of the country has it for his DS but it doesn't support the Nintendo network at all and we were reminded of playing SoM3 together using zsnes via its internet connection feature(which simulated a direct cable link between emulated consoles via direct IP link). I've looked all around for a DS emu that can give the same functionality but so far as i can tell there are none and I'm not suggesting this might be easy. since this is the most recently updated DS emulator i thought i would ask here if this solution were possible in this manner.

#28 2011-05-20 20:31:06

zeromus
Radical Ninja

no. if a game needs the nintendo network, then the only way to avoid using nintendo's network is to emulate nintendo's network. that hasnt been done nor is it likely to happen for a very long time, if ever. games that use local multiplayer could be emulated with two desmumes near each other, but that doesnt work well, or at all, right now.

#29 2011-05-20 21:09:41

Kalivos

zeromus wrote:

games that use local multiplayer could be emulated with two desmumes near each other, but that doesnt work well, or at all, right now.

that's the functionality I'm talking about, is it possible, can it be done? i realise that the nintendo network is going to track things like MAC address but will the individual desmume's take issue with each other? does the emulator require the other emulator to be physically near it or can it use a WAN connection (IP connection via internet)? there are games available for the DS that only use local multiplayer and i live on a tropical island... not too many DS users in the area that play anything besides pokemon. giving desmume the functionality to use "local multiplayer" over an internet connection would allow it to do something the DS doesnt currently do for local only games, and would give a multi-player option to folks making home brew games.

#30 2011-05-20 21:44:22

zeromus
Radical Ninja

this isnt a technical question. if a game supports local multiplayer, then it could be supported via emulation in principle. since it isnt implemented yet in practice, there are no details to discuss about what the emulator does or doesnt do. homebrew can already do "local multiplayer" via basic tcp/ip.

in theory, games with local multiplayer support may fail when run over wan due to unexpected latency. do not get your hopes up. it may not ever work well, or at all.

quit asking questions about this. wifi isn't supported.

#31 2011-05-20 21:56:02

Kalivos

zeromus wrote:

this isnt a technical question.

i disagree, just because i am unable to word it in a technical manner doesn't mean it is not a technical question. for instance have you considered making a second program to handle the connection via internet, one that runs like an environment that desmume could interface with, almost like a virtual wireless connection? the way im thinking would have you set up the direct connectthrough the desmume interface before loading in a rom/cart image, that way the DS emulation instance sees the second DS instance as being a local wireless client for an ad-hoc local multi-player session.

zeromus wrote:

homebrew can already do "local multiplayer" via basic tcp/ip.

something i didnt know was compatible with desmume

Board footer