You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2010-09-29 12:31:47

icupnimpn2

keyboard to stylus input at specific coordinates (for typing, etc)

The upcoming release of "Pokemon Typing"
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/kirby … ar-old-ds/
made me realize how absolutely terrible the DS is for games that would require heavy amounts of text input.  In short bursts, okay.  But typing games are meant to help you learn how to type.  Even had I the hands of a hobbit child, I can't imagine being able to learn proper typing technique on the DS handheld.

This strikes me as a wonderful opportunity for emulators.  I have no more but the most basic programming skills myself, but that does, I believe, give me some idea of the difficulty of programming some tasks.  Here's a proposal (or request) for functionality that could improve the experience with playing some DS games through emulation rather than on the actual unit.

It should be relatively simple to map keyboard keys to specific screen coordinates.  While x/y coordinates for different keys would obviously differ from application to application, it would be relatively simple for someone to define a set of correct coordinates that would be loaded up at the start of emulation. 

That way, when you try to type "b-u-l-b-a-s-a-u-r" or whatever, you don't have to use the mouse.  You could play with an actual keyboard.

At first I thought specific regions would need to be defined, but this would not be necessary, since the DS doesn't care where inside an area you are tapping.  As long as one correct point within a region was chosen, it could be mapped to a keystroke. 

I can't find any documentation for the DeSmuME's implementation of LUA, and my understanding of the script is very limited, but maybe the capability to create this kind of functionality already exists.  Has anyone mapped a keystroke to input at a specific coordinate through LUA script? 

If LUA is capable of doing this, then the functionality could be creatively adapted beyond typing/input applications to map input coordinates to improve playability of first-person shooters, etc.

Please let me know what you think.

[edit - was tired and thought example game was a kirby game, is really a pokemon game]

Last edited by icupnimpn2 (2010-09-29 12:33:29)

#2 2010-09-29 18:15:40

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: keyboard to stylus input at specific coordinates (for typing, etc)

desmume's lua could do this. tasvideos.org or irc.freenode.net #tasvideos is the best place i know of to get help with lua scripting, or at least pointers to existing scripts.

Board footer