You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2011-09-10 04:43:47

WarPhalange

RAM cheats and frozen variables

My understanding of the RAM search/watch feature is that it works like Cheat Engine. You type in what you think your variable is, look for it, change the variable, look, etc., find it, alter it. I've been able to do that OK.

My problem is that for some reason I can only alter variables if the "freeze variable" checkbox is checked. Otherwise nothing happens to the variable. Now, if I *do* freeze the variable, there is no way to *unfreeze* it. At all. I can "add cheat" and click unfreeze but that still keeps it frozen.

The weirdest part is that these cheats get saved regardless of whether or not I save the state of the game. If I input the cheat, then close the game, the cheat will still be there upon reloading the ROM. I've only found one way to clear the cheats in fact. I went into the Cheats folder and deleted the file that was there. That corrupted the saves in the ROM's the in-game save file (or whatever), but at least not the save states.

Is there a cleaner way to delete cheats without corrupting the game's safe file?

I am using version 0.9.7 x64 msvc 1500 and the game is Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow if it matters.

#2 2011-09-10 08:30:17

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: RAM cheats and frozen variables

how did you "freeze" it? you must have added a cheat.  you can delete cheats through the cheats menu.
if the address isnt frozen, it can't be changed, since the cheat system works by freezing addresses to a set value. if you want to change a variable without freezing it, then you want something illogical--for the cheat system. Of course, you can go to the memory editor and change values to your heart's content (the game may clobber them immediately though because theyre not frozen)

cheats are an emulator perk. theyre not stored with the savefile, and theyre not stored with the savestate. yes, deleting the cheats file causes the emulator to lose track of the cheats. or you can delete them through the cheats dialog in the emulator.

it is unusual for cheats to break savefiles. if it happens to do it in this game, then its because your cheats happen to have broken the game.

#3 2011-09-10 10:37:05

Manivo
Awesome Possum

Esentially there's two modifications one can do when changing a value via memory hacking. Freeze and Bump. Bumping a value simply sets it to something and doesn't do anything to maintain it as such. Useful if you want to increase a value but still let it change (from its new value) through your gameplay. The game may set it back to its original value if it catches on to your dirty little trick, but that's the hacker's problem.

edit: aimed at zero, not OP

#4 2011-09-10 15:34:35

WarPhalange

zeromus wrote:

how did you "freeze" it? you must have added a cheat.  you can delete cheats through the cheats menu.

I don't have a "cheats menu". I went into RAM Search and worked through there. Or is that what you are referring to?

if the address isnt frozen, it can't be changed, since the cheat system works by freezing addresses to a set value. if you want to change a variable without freezing it, then you want something illogical--for the cheat system. Of course, you can go to the memory editor and change values to your heart's content (the game may clobber them immediately though because theyre not frozen)

Unless this is doing something I don't understand, then what you said is totally false. My understanding here is that this works like Cheat Engine basically. You isolate the variable you want to change, say "money", and then you change it. If I have 5000 money and I want 6000, I just type in the new number. Freezing doesn't enter the equation whatsoever. I still want the game to be able to alter the value when I buy/sell something or find more money. Freezing the value keeps it constants regardless of what else is happening.

In fact, if I truly did isolate the correct value, the game shouldn't differentiate between changing the value in RAM and actually buying/selling something or finding some money.

Freezing a value means not letting the game change it. This is useful for something like HP in a game. Keep it at 100% no matter what happens, that way if an enemy hits me, the HP is still at 100%. If I didn't freeze it, I'd have to go and change the value manually to 100% every time.

cheats are an emulator perk. theyre not stored with the savefile, and theyre not stored with the savestate. yes, deleting the cheats file causes the emulator to lose track of the cheats. or you can delete them through the cheats dialog in the emulator.

I can't find this "cheats dialog". Am I maybe using an older version of DeSmuME? I downloaded the most recent binary file. I don't want to play around with compiling from source.

#5 2011-09-10 17:06:32

zeromus
Radical Ninja

WarPhalange wrote:

I don't have a "cheats menu". I went into RAM Search and worked through there. Or is that what you are referring to?

emulation > cheats > list

WarPhalange wrote:

Unless this is doing something I don't understand, then what you said is totally false. My understanding here is that this works like Cheat Engine basically. You isolate the variable you want to change, say "money", and then you change it. If I have 5000 money and I want 6000, I just type in the new number. Freezing doesn't enter the equation whatsoever. I still want the game to be able to alter the value when I buy/sell something or find more money. Freezing the value keeps it constants regardless of what else is happening.

You dont understand. There's no way to freeze values through the ram search, except by clicking 'add cheat' which you must have discovered because you got cheats stuck turned on. Where are you trying to enter 6000? There's not a spot in this screen to enter the value that you want stored in that memory location.

#6 2011-09-10 17:53:10

WarPhalange

I went to RAM search. Found the RAM values I wanted, then hit "Add Cheat". I didn't know about the cheats menu. Thanks for helping me find it.

Board footer