You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2010-12-09 23:33:36

Mantis

Last Window - Selecting Objects in 3D

Hi, I am playing Last Window and I'm having some difficulty. You have to select objects in your "investigation" view (usually 3D though sometimes it's 2D), and on the DS when you move your stylus over it, the object will highlight orange, then you tap to select it. In DeSmuME I'm having a lot of difficulty with this. I don't know if I'm supposed to click-drag but it's what I'm doing and it takes a lot of effort and dragging the mouse cursor around for any object to turn orange. Keeping my mouse cursor in the exact same position when I click the object is another matter, as sometimes the cursor will nudge slightly, then I'm back to square one.

Is this a bug, or what..?

Thanks

#2 2010-12-09 23:45:51

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Last Window - Selecting Objects in 3D

you have to touch your stylus to the screen to drag over it and then press harder to pick it up?
you mean it is pressure sensitive?
but yet you havent tried to specify any kind of pressure level to desmume. nor could you, since it isnt supported.

#3 2010-12-10 00:03:47

Mantis

Yes, that's pretty much it, as it keeps trying to select when I move it and click my mouse. I don't know how others have got so far in Last Window using this emulator (chapter 8/9) if I got too frustrated on the first chapter. It's a shame as I've already completed the game on my DS, but I just wanted to grab screenshots for a project.

It's disappointing that pressure is not supported, though I appreciate that it may be difficult to implement. It would be a good idea to make it so you could use the scroll wheel on the mouse to adjust the pressure sensitivity, when it's supported.

Thanks for your reply.

#4 2010-12-10 03:35:00

zeromus
Radical Ninja

i have chosen to work on this. please send me a nearby savestate or a save file for verification

#5 2010-12-10 05:09:06

zeromus
Radical Ninja

upon further investigation, this works fine in desmume 0.9.6. if youre having trouble making objects turn orange, then youre just not cut out for this kind of game (unless you can send me a file which demonstrates one behaving glitchily)

regarding keeping it in the exact same position, it is only necessary to touch somewhere else on the orange object once it is highlighted. if you miss the object of course it will unhilight. and if youre having trouble clicking the object then this would be troublesome indeed.

until you show me an object which is actually hard to click this is case closed and has nothing to do with pressure

#6 2010-12-11 15:28:30

Enki

I have also problems. the items are when you want to highlite them in the oposite position. and in the 2nd kapital, the phone (your pieper rings for the first time) cannot be alocated (lighted orange). for example: the table is the ansering machine. the radio the cupboard. only th ephone isa not going orange. What should i do?
Had anyone the same problpems??? i would thank you for a answer!
greetz, Enki

#7 2010-12-11 20:43:13

zeromus
Radical Ninja

waiting for a savestate or save file where i can investigate this. please note that since 0.9.6 official release some bugs relating to precision of object selection have been fixe4d

#8 2010-12-11 22:39:15

Enki

Oh, yes. i have found it. and your right, i had v 0.9.5 ! the new one does it right. hm, i have read the text about the fire alarm, later. to touch two objects simultan. i dont think i have understand how i must do this, because im german (my schooltime was a few years ago-) and my english is not so good.-( but when i be there in the game i will check it out! THX for your help!                            greetz, Enki

#9 2010-12-12 05:04:41

Mantis

I have since realised it's not due to pressure sensitivity, just the emulator.

zeromus wrote:

if youre having trouble making objects turn orange, then youre just not cut out for this kind of game (unless you can send me a file which demonstrates one behaving glitchily)

I've completed both Hotel Dusk and Last Window on the DS. I know what I'm doing. You shouldn't blame users. Here. http://www.outlawstar.co.uk/files/Last% … 20West.ds1

Have a play with the mailboxes. I did try to record a movie, but it seems you cannot record and then load a save state. You must play from the beginning. I will try to record a movie now though, and post again if I am successful. With some things it is no problem. Like when the documents fall out of the mailbox, it's easy to pick them up. But selecting the mailbox in the 3D view and also using the key to open the door (your room) proved troublesome. Also, I do have the latest version.

Last edited by Mantis (2010-12-12 05:05:11)

#10 2010-12-12 05:09:43

zeromus
Radical Ninja

works 100% fine for me. guess you should use the windows version where stuff works better than the osx and linux versions.

#11 2010-12-12 05:26:50

Mantis

I am running Windows. http://www.outlawstar.co.uk/files/lastwindow.dsm

It'll take about 10-15 minutes of your time, but if you watch this the difficulties with it should become apparent. I got a bit lucky with the mailbox this time as it didn't take too long. The doorknob was a bit of a problem though. Whilst it might not seem like a big problem spending about ten times as long selecting things (if it only takes about ten seconds as opposed to one), when you consider all the selections in the whole game it is an issue.

If this does not satisfy, I can make an AVI. I decided not to do that tonight because of codec/conversion/YouTube factors. Let me know what you make of the DSM.

#12 2010-12-12 05:36:15

zeromus
Radical Ninja

please tell me which timestamps the errors occur at in case i nod off during the insanely long exposition.

by the way tony totally looks like rob trujillo

#13 2010-12-12 05:47:31

zeromus
Radical Ninja

i saw you have no problems whatsoever with the mailbox or the mail...
i saw you have no problems with the door.
so whats interesting about this?

#14 2010-12-12 05:48:17

Mantis

Timestamps? I'm not familiar with this I'm afraid and I can't remember how far in it is specifically. But it's easy to see what I mean just by playing it. You asked me to get the proof and here it is. I'd have thought you'd check it out. Now that you mention Tony, I thought I'd say he's a real musician called Ninezero, who his character was based on. (They made the art by tracing over video of people.)

Edit: No problem? It took 10-15 seconds for any of the mailbox to highlight yellow. Similar to the doorknob. I admit though, the mail I had no issue with.

Last edited by Mantis (2010-12-12 05:49:46)

#15 2010-12-12 05:52:10

zeromus
Radical Ninja

quit using frameskip and your problems will go away. now im 100% sure now thats what the problem is.

frameskip has problems in dual screen 3d games. long periods of time will go by without the 3d screens getting updated. frankly im amazed you can play the game at all with the 3d as clunky as it must be on your system frameskipping as you are.

I edit my posts because forums suck.

#16 2010-12-12 05:56:59

Mantis

I was moving the mouse cursor quickly because it wouldn't highlight. But I see what you mean now. I didn't suspect frameskip, but I can see why it could be a problem. I enabled frameskip because my computer isn't the fastest in the world and didn't think to turn it off.

I just tried it without frameskip, and you're right. It works flawlessly. (Apart from speed.) Well, sorry for wasting your time there, but I had no idea. Perhaps this should be in an FAQ or something.

Thanks.

Edit: Seems you often edit your posts. tongue So I guess some of the things I said in my reply are irrelevant now. Last Window is a game that's playable with frameskip as it's not real-time, in my opinion. I just didn't realise this would be an issue.

Last edited by Mantis (2010-12-12 05:58:21)

#17 2010-12-12 05:58:50

zeromus
Radical Ninja

it isnt frequently asked. but i am going to add 'turn off frameskip' to the list of mandatory troubleshooting steps

Board footer