You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2010-06-27 01:04:29

rapthorne

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen

heya, when i load up this rom (english version) all i see is a black screen and some menus.

i can open up the game and chose to "start new adventure log, continue adventure log" etc...

when i start a new game, i hear audio of the prologue, but no visuals what so ever.

after the audio-only prologue is nothing but a dark screen. i can open the game menu and that comes up totally fine, but no other graphics what so ever.

i've never had a problem with any other game using this emulator before

#2 2010-06-27 02:47:30

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen

did you know we have a faq? did you know this is a frequently asked question?

#3 2010-10-09 20:30:16

platypode

Hi, I have an issue with this game that isn't so frequently asked. I get to the end of chapter 3 just fine. (Congratulations, by the way, on having an emulator that will run this game at all - the other two major ones don't.) Then in chapter 4, when I try to go to the world map, the lower screen is completely black. This issue only affects traveling on the world map (at least so far), in towns everything is fine and most of the graphics for combat show up; it did not occur anywhere in the previous three chapters.

I have tried all the following troubleshooting steps, taken from the FAQ:
* Closing and re-opening the emulator
* All possible options under LCD Layout, these just screw everything up in this case (in many cases giving me flickering, painful-to-watch images of just what should be on the top screen, on both screens)
* Switching to opengl (again, this just made things worse - blank light blue screen in towns, same problem plus wrong colours on the screen I could see in the world map)
* Deleting the .ini
* Disabling advanced bus-level timing (for some reason it was already running)
* External bios image with and without SWI, whatever that is
* Changing the Display Method between HW and SW (hardware and software rendering, I presumed)
* Trying several, though by no means all, of the options under Magnification Filter

Any other ideas? Failing that, if anyone else has had this problem, does it clear up later?

I should add that I did *not* turn the emulator off after chapter 3, i.e. it wasn't a case of me turning it on one day and there being a new problem; I started chapter 4 in the same session I finished chapter 3.

#4 2010-10-09 21:21:41

zeromus
Radical Ninja

is fixed in newer svn builds and will be fixed in 0.9.7 release. it happens when you walk too far south or east in the world (maybe just too far south, not sure). chapters 1-3 all take place in the northwest, chapter 4 in the southwest, and chapter 5 new world is in the east.. was caused by precision bugs arising from using float32 numbers to represent what are really fixed12.20 values. only appears in extremities.

#5 2010-10-10 04:16:41

platypode

Thanks, good to know it's something you're already aware of.

Board footer