You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2009-04-26 15:46:23

loki1405

Transfering save files between no$gba and desmume

I was going to reply to the guy that had questions about transferring to no$gba, but the mod closed the topic.  No need to be offended smile  I'm sure he has a valid reason to do so, because no$gba is inferior at this point, and the author is MIA.  (No save states and it will crash randomly losing all your progress unless you saved AND quit the program)

I have experience transferring FROM no$gba, and it can be done without using any converting tool, but isn't exactly as braindead easy as it should be either.  Most importantly, you need to change the no$gba save type to RAW in the config file, then start no$gba and save again.  The file size of the save should now be something like (64k or 512k). 

The second problem you will run into is: no$gba saves files as the wrong size (due to a likely bug in no$gba).  This means desmume will autodetect the wrong save file size, so you have to manually select the correct size before loading.  As of last time I tried this, even after you save in Desmume, desmume will save the wrong file size if it was wrong when it got loaded (it really should truncate the file but it doesn't seem to).  So I recommend saving to a save state, closing desmume, deleting the .sav, starting desmume, loading the save state and saving again to make a new save file.

In summary:
1) edit no$gba.ini file and find the part that starts with SAV/SNA File format and make that line say 'SAV/SNA File Format == Raw'
2) start no$gba, and save, and quit
3) check the file size to make sure it looks like it is a 64k, 512k number
4) copy the file from the no$gba battery folder to your roms location
5) start desmume, make sure you MANUALLY choose the *CORRECT* save file size.  The no$gba save file size is not technically correct (8 times too big because he calculated the save type in kbytes instead of kbits)
6) start the rom and save to a save state
7) delete the .sav file from the roms folder
8) start desmume, and to be safe, manually select the correct sav file size
9)  start the rom, and load the save state
10) save

Now, as far as transferring back to no$gba, I haven't tried it.  However, I'm betting the problem is: no$gba expects the sav file to be 8 times as big as it is.  I'm thinking there is a utility in hexedit that can trucate or pad a file.  As simple technically as it seems, I don't know of any other utilities in Windows that are made just to truncate or pad files.  I'd try that and see what happens, I think the only thing stopping you from transferring back is the file size difference.

#2 2009-04-26 15:56:07

loki1405

Re: Transfering save files between no$gba and desmume

I tried transferring 2 saves back from desmume to no$gba and it seemed to work fine without any fancy footwork.  I'd try copying the save and using autodetect in no$gba.  If that doesn't work, try copying the save again and manually selecting, but *remember* no$gba lists the save types in KBYTES.  So.... 64kbit is actually *8kbyte*.  smile  That could be where you are going wrong.

#3 2009-04-26 16:38:50

shash
Administrator

Re: Transfering save files between no$gba and desmume

If you want to transfer from another emulator to Desmume, here is fine to ask and discuss it. If you want to discuss importing it on another emulator, here's not the place, for obvious reasons: that's why I closed it.

Board footer