You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2020-05-24 23:26:11

Sophia_Jaeh

Soft Reset // Pokemon Platinum // Shiny Hunting

Hello, so I am currently playing Pokemon Platinum, using Desmume. I am trying to catch a shiny Uxie.

I have a save state right before the encounter with Uxie. I encounter, see no shiny, then hit F1 and reset the save state to before the encounter. Does this constitute as a "Soft Reset"?? As in, will this method even work since I am not technically loading the actual games "save"? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2020-05-25 00:04:19

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Soft Reset // Pokemon Platinum // Shiny Hunting

this is not a "soft reset" by anyone's standards.

a soft reset would normally be a button press combination (L+R+START+SELECT for instance but pokemon may have its own sequence).

#3 2020-05-25 00:30:24

Sophia_Jaeh

Thank you for this but this really wasn't the main question and doesn't help me in my situation.

zeromus wrote:

this is not a "soft reset" by anyone's standards.

a soft reset would normally be a button press combination (L+R+START+SELECT for instance but pokemon may have its own sequence).

#4 2020-05-25 01:28:07

zeromus
Radical Ninja

This isn't a pokemon gamer's forum. We don't know what it takes to catch a shiny Uxie. You need to go ask on a pokemon gamer's forum.

#5 2020-05-25 01:43:08

Zerp01

zeromus wrote:

This isn't a pokemon gamer's forum. We don't know what it takes to catch a shiny Uxie. You need to go ask on a pokemon gamer's forum.

I believe you misinterpreted the premise of her question. She was asking if reloading save states would work in the same manner as soft resetting her game. This question could apply to many games where you need to soft reset for RNG reasons, not exclusively Pokemon games. This question is also directly related to DeSmuME and what it can and can not do therefore making it a question for the DeSmuME Forums, not for a 'pokemon gamer's forum'. Also, I don't believe being rude is an intended part of the DeSmuME forums either, I'd like if you were rude elsewhere, perhaps a meany head forum? Just a suggestion though smile

Gamer just trying to play some DS games smile

#6 2020-05-25 06:57:11

zeromus
Radical Ninja

I believe you misinterpreted everything on your screen. If "is X a Y" was her question, then I answered it: "no. here's what a Y is."

#7 2020-05-25 15:06:15

redholm

Sophia_Jaeh wrote:

Hello, so I am currently playing Pokemon Platinum, using Desmume. I am trying to catch a shiny Uxie.

I have a save state right before the encounter with Uxie. I encounter, see no shiny, then hit F1 and reset the save state to before the encounter. Does this constitute as a "Soft Reset"?? As in, will this method even work since I am not technically loading the actual games "save"? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Sophia! I personally tested this. You will never get a shiny Uxie reloading savestates. The result you'll get is the same identical Uxie every time, instead of rerolling it with a proper soft reset. Hope this helps!

#8 2020-05-25 18:20:07

Sophia_Jaeh

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!!! So, I'd have to save (within the game instead of a save state in desmume) then just restart it like you would in a normal soft reset and load the in-game save? Just making sure it still works in Desmume!! smile smile smile thank you!

redholm wrote:
Sophia_Jaeh wrote:

Hey Sophia! I personally tested this. You will never get a shiny Uxie reloading savestates. The result you'll get is the same identical Uxie every time, instead of rerolling it with a proper soft reset. Hope this helps!

#9 2020-05-25 22:13:20

redholm

Sophia_Jaeh wrote:

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!!! So, I'd have to save (within the game instead of a save state in desmume) then just restart it like you would in a normal soft reset and load the in-game save? Just making sure it still works in Desmume!! smile smile smile thank you!

redholm wrote:
Sophia_Jaeh wrote:

That's right! Good luck on your shiny hunt smile

Board footer