You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2016-06-20 13:57:57

JJJ

DeSmuMe ruin my hardrive

I set the ROM Loading setting to Stream from Disk , after days of playing for hours it started to slow down, I tried to play other game not using emulator but my sound card output become very noisy, after I replace my hardrive everything went back to normal then I got back to desmume and again the same thing happen but after I changed the setting to the other setting it works fine.

#2 2016-06-21 15:32:53

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: DeSmuMe ruin my hardrive

No it didn't. complete coincidence. This isn't possible. Ask anyone who knows anything about software. All it does is read the rom bits at a time instead of all at once.

#3 2016-06-23 03:14:28

fintogive
Website

sounds like your power supply is going out or your mother board has a bad cap.  you might want to take your computer in and get it checked

#4 2016-07-07 16:45:01

JJJ

my point is that even if my computer is in perfect condition overtime the hardware will be affected. i read the source code for rom reading by streaming from disk, it reads 4 bytes at a time and i find that ds games reads it's rom  all the time unlike pc game that read it's file than cache it in memory.

#5 2016-07-07 17:05:57

zeromus
Radical Ninja

If your system can't read 4 bytes at a time, then it's not in perfect condition.

#6 2016-07-09 20:21:04

JJJ

You know the emu runs at 60 fps. a large pc game didn't transfer as much data from disk as ds game played with dsemume.

#7 2016-07-09 23:09:17

zeromus
Radical Ninja

1. that has nothing to do with it
2. that's probably not true.  An area in pokemon may load a few MB at the most every time it's loaded. A large PC game may load 1GB or more and have several tracks of music and ambient sounds constantly streaming.

Also let's address one more thing

"i find that ds games reads it's rom all the time unlike pc game that read it's file than cache it in memory."

I doubt that. NDS games generally cache to memory as well. If they read continually, it's likely due to streaming music.  Older nintendo handhelds can execute code and read data directly from the ROM, but the NDS can't. It's essentially like loading from a disk. It loads about as much from disk as a comparable PC game would, i.e. one level at a time.

#8 2016-07-10 22:38:40

JJJ

You are right about that!! may be the problem was desmume is not a very efficient resource user.

Last edited by JJJ (2016-07-10 22:39:40)

#9 2016-07-11 03:10:27

rogerman

JJJ wrote:

You are right about that!! may be the problem was desmume is not a very efficient resource user.

DeSmuME is not designed to efficiently use resources -- it is designed to run as fast as possible while maintaining emulation accuracy. These two design philosophies are usually at odds with one another. In fact, I foresee DeSmuME increasing its resource usage in the future rather than decreasing it.

As for your issues with streaming from disk, there are only three real scenarios for why a user would ever want to stream the NDS ROM data from disk:
1. The user has a very old slow hard drive (I'm talking some 5400RPM HD from 10 years ago), and wants to avoid long initial loading times for large ROMs (usually 256MB or greater).
2. The ROM data is being streamed over a network.
3. The host system doesn't have a large amount of RAM to begin with. (This is usually the case for embedded systems running Linux, or some older Windows tablets.)

For all other scenarios, it is always better to load the entire NDS ROM into host RAM first. This shouldn't be a problem nowadays for the vast majority of DeSmuME users. The vast majority of users run DeSmuME on a desktop or a laptop PC. Even cheap desktop and laptop PCs nowadays come with at least 4GB of RAM as standard. Also, desktop/laptop RAM upgrades are cheap as well. There really is no reason why the typical DeSmuME user wouldn't have enough RAM to simply load the entire ROM outright. And if you do load the entire ROM into host RAM, then NDS games that like to do a lot of random-access reads on the ROM data won't be a problem for you.

Due to all of these reasons, I personally see no problem with DeSmuME's resource usage.

#10 2016-07-11 08:34:13

hcf

My 2 cents: I don't believe rom streaming can hurt a hard disk that is in good status. Maybe if the hard disk is in bad status and it is very close to die, a huge workload (like rom streaming) can make it die indeed, but the same thing would happen if it does any other intensive task with the disk.

In the Xbox port of Desmume, we use rom streaming (it is mandatory as we have only 64 MB of RAM, so we are in one of the situations pointed by rogerman) and I haven't heard anything about disks crashed by DesmumeX.

Furthermore: as far as I have been able to test, even the simpler systems have a cache when reading from the hard disk. So, even though we are asking to read from the disk 4 bytes at a time many times, we don't physically access to the disk at that rate: the machine will probably read some KB each time and load them in its cache.

Of course rom streaming makes the hard disk work during a long time, but this should not be worse than any other common task that continuously accesses to the disk.

#11 2016-07-11 19:22:35

JJJ

You know, i played games a lot especially with emulators, and the only emulator that's problematic is dsmume. no$gba doesn't work for all game that's why i turn to desmume.

#12 2016-07-11 19:25:14

JJJ

"My 2 cents: I don't believe rom streaming can hurt a hard disk that is in good status. Maybe if the hard disk is in bad status and it is very close to die, a huge workload (like rom streaming) can make it die indeed, but the same thing would happen if it does any other intensive task with the disk"

durability.

#13 2016-07-11 20:01:46

zeromus
Radical Ninja

It's not even a huge workload. Like hcf says, disks cache. filesystems cache. STDIO caches. Desmume's streaming mode is 100% the same as any other game on your PC. It's the load-entire-rom-to-memory mode which is weird. This is a stupid topic.

Board footer