You are not logged in.

Read the FAQ and Knowledge Base before posting.
We won't make a 3DS/2DS emulator.

#1 2015-07-25 01:55:56

Svered

Rune Factory 3 Main BG0 Alignment.

I've noticed a weird issue when playing Rune Factory 3, which, from what I've checked, seems to have existed for a while since it appeared in all the versions I tested going back to 0.9.8, where the BG0 layer sometimes has textures/sprites which are offset by a noticeable amount. It occurs in both OpenGL 3.2 and Soft Rasterizer, and I have no idea what is causing it. Any advice/potential insight into the issue? It's also only an occasional issue, as some textures are off by a lot, some are off by very little, and some see to be in the right spot, with no issues whatsoever.

With BG0: http://i.imgur.com/XweMOyy.jpg
Without BG0: http://i.imgur.com/eRQpqwL.jpg

Last edited by Svered (2015-07-25 02:14:31)

#2 2015-07-25 02:27:10

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Re: Rune Factory 3 Main BG0 Alignment.

BG0 contains the characters. BG2 contains the backdrops of the world they run around on. Without BG0, you have no characters. If there are misaligned characters with BG0, then take a screenshot with BG0 enabled and circle whats wrong. I think your use of the word 'texture' may not be right. Also this game is majorly glitched in desmume. Save in-game frequently and reload from the save file after resetting when it starts glitching. Previously I've only seen the game hang, but I suppose it could start  rendering wrongly too.

#3 2015-07-25 02:39:26

Svered

The kinda weird thing about this game is it looks like some objects, or at least part of them, are drawn twice, at least partially, so the missing objects are actually the Main BG0 rendering of them. One of them is kinda hard to see even though I circled it, but the left handrail of the bridge in the image is also drawn in the incorrect position. Not shown in the picture is a statue that's also drawn twice, but it's only off by a pixel or two on BG0, so it's not an issue.
This game doesn't just draw characters on BG0 for whatever reason as well. As you said, BG2 is the majority of the background, but for whatever reason BG0 contains a couple of objects. I believe that the characters are where they are supposed to be, and from what I've seen from running around a bit in game it looks like the two object circled are the only ones which are majorly misaligned on BG0.
Here's an album with the misaligned objects circled in one image, and another picture that hopefully shows what I mean by drawn twice by not showing the other primary layer (BG2). The proper alignment should have the objects directly placed over their duplicate in BG2 so that the fact that they are drawn twice isn't obvious.
http://imgur.com/MMB1yK1&6WfTbei#0

Also, since this is a game specific issue should this be moved to the compatibility forum?

Last edited by Svered (2015-07-25 03:10:30)

#4 2015-07-25 05:11:21

zeromus
Radical Ninja

OK, you're onto something after all. Will the same (seemingly randomly selected) objects always be misplaced? Can you make an in-game save near that location? This kind of bug lasting for so long and on both 3d renderers sounds like something we could fix.

#5 2015-07-25 05:22:43

Svered

Yes it's just those two items as far as I've seen. None of the other random things that are rendered on BG0 seem to be off by very much. I thought I spotted a minor issue with character placement during one of the in game cutscenes but that seemed to fix itself. The problem persists across regions (Europe, US, JP are all affected) and at least back to version 0.9.8 or Desmume. Weird thing is I did a full playthrough of the game about 2-ish years ago on Desmume and don't remember noticing the issue. And the area where these objects appear is just to the right of your home in game, so just saving at home should work. Would you like me to upload a save somewhere?

Actually never mind. This is a bug present when playing on the actual console. Tested it on my Rune Factory 3 cartridge on my 3DS and the objects are still misplaced ingame. Really weird that this was never caught. If this is something actually fixable on Desmume I would be amazed.

I guess you can feel free to close the thread/archive it or whatever.

Last edited by Svered (2015-07-25 05:34:00)

#6 2015-07-25 15:04:20

zeromus
Radical Ninja

Not too too terribly weird, since these two objects in particular are kind of visually perplexing with that kind of art style. Someone must have changed the 2d art at the end and forgot to re-export the 3d layer. But being right next to your house... yeah, kind of odd. Well, thanks for your tenacity, even if it ended up being a false alarm. Even if it could be 'fixed' in desmume we wouldn't want to, since it would actually be breaking accurate emulation!

Board footer